Get inspired by the illustrations in our Special Collections, and have a go at drawing your own insect!
You will need:
- Some plain paper or a sketch pad
- A pencil (HB, B or 2B)
- A photograph of an insect (you could take one yourself or find one online!)
- An eraser
- Some coloured pencils
- A black fine liner pen (optional)
- Study the photograph of your insect carefully.
- Use your pencil to lightly sketch the outline of your chosen insect onto your paper.
- You might find it easier to draw it in 3 parts (head, thorax, abdomen).
- Use coloured pencils to colour your insect in.
- Use a pencil or a black fine liner to add details (e.g. spots on wings or other markings).
- Admire your work of art!
This activity was inspired by the illustrations of insects held in our Special Collections.
If you would like to see more of these illustrations, click on the image below.