Do you enjoy drawing?
If yes, why not take inspiration from the local illustrations held in our Special Collections and have a go at illustrating your favourite local landmark?
You will need:
- Some plain paper or a sketch pad
- A pencil (HB, B or 2B)
- A photograph of a local landmark
- (Optional) A blank fine-line pen
- Study the photograph of your chosen landmark carefully.
- Use your pencil to lightly sketch the outline of your chosen landmark onto your paper.
- Add detail and shading using hatching techniques (i.e. by drawing fine lines closely together).
- Use a black fine liner to go over the pencil lines (optional)
- Admire your finished illustration!
This activity was inspired by the local landmark illustrations held in our Special Collections.
Click on the image below if you would like to explore the illustrations held in Newcastle University Library's Special Collections.